To be honest, traditionally I’m not much of a necklace wearer but since having a little one I’ve found that they jazz up a boring outfit and provide some entertainment for her. I love that a simple black top and jeans can be brightened up with colourful jewellery. With plenty of fabric to choose from, I decided to make some of these long fabric beaded necklaces. They are super simple and only take a half hour or so to make. Perfect for beginners.
- 1/4 yard fabric, quilting cotton if perfect.
- 20 or so beads or marbles
- sewing machine and general sewing supplies.
- Cut 2, 3 inch wide strips of fabric
- Sew the 2 pieces together at one short end, right sides together
- Measure the strip and cut it to about 180cm
- Fold the strip lengthways, right sides together
- Sew down the long open edge using a 3/8 inch seam
- Place a safely pin at one end and turn the tube right side out.
- Place the first bead in and work it through to the centre
- Tie knots either side of the bead
- place another bead and tie a knot
- Continue doing this until you are left with about 4 inches at both ends
- tuck the raw edges of the ends in about an inch.
- place one end inside the other, have them overlap about 1/2 inch
If need be, you can make them longer or shorter, just make sure it will fit over your head.
Enjoy making these up, I hope they brighten your day!
I’d love to see your creations, please share on Instagram and tag me using @deannapatternsandprojects