I have admired Deer and Doe for quite a while. I was always slightly put off by shipping from Europe. I don’t know why, I’m more than happy to buy from the US but just kept putting it off. Finally, after seeing so many beautiful garments made from them, I placed my first order.
I ordered the Bruyere Shirt (obviously) and the Aubepine Dress. There are a few more that I wanted but I kept it to the two, some self control was needed!
I haven’t ever really been in to wearing shirts. I know they have been popular in the last few years, I just had never gotten in to them. I thought that if I bought a pattern, then I’d have to give it a go. I think I was also at a point with my sewing that I really needed a challenge. If you have been reading this blog for a while, then you probably have noticed that I enjoy quick and easy patterns. I love being able to something done within a nap time or of an evening. I was actually getting a little bored though!
The Bruyere Shirt was the perfect push to get me out of my comfort zone and make me try a few new techniques. I have to say, I was a tad nervous about tackling this pattern. I honestly thought it would end up in UFO pile, being extremely frustrated and giving up on it.
Obviously, I finished the shirt and it actually wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be! I am proud of the final product, even though I’d make a few fitting adjustments if I make another. It’s a bit tight in the bust and the arm could be a bit longer, but otherwise I’m happy with it.
I chose to use this April Rhodes voile from Art Gallery Fabrics (purchased from Hawthorne Threads) that I had in my stash. I didn’t quite have enough though and I used a plain light green voile that I had leftover from something for the lining. I’m a little annoyed that it is as visible as it is. Oh well.
The Buryere Shirt is a long sleeve, fitted button up shirt. It has the waistband (my favourite feature) with a box pleat skirt coming of it. I love the length of the skirt, it really covers up the butt area nicely! I actually would like to see it as a shirt dress. I also do like the hemline, long at the front and back and high at the side.
New techniques that I used were the button placket, the sleeve cuffs and the stiff collar (I have made plenty of collared garments but this was slightly different). The placket and collar were very straightforward but I have to admit, I found the cuffs a bit of a challenge. I had never sewn the slit before and it took me a while to get my head around how to do it. It’s really really messy but I don’t think it was too bad for my first attempt. I was happy that all raw edges were concealed. I did think about unpicking and doing it again but then I realised that it would only be me that would really notice (and those who read this!).
To wrap it up, I am feeling proud of myself for completing my first shirt! Lizzy from Sew Busy Lizzy
warned me that they are addictive and I have to agree! I have fabric ready to go to make my husband TWO Negroni shirts, hopefully that happens soon!
Also, the pattern is really well written and easy to follow but what else would you expect from Deer and Doe!